Recipe Week – Day 3, Shrimp and Chorizo Stew
Looking for a little Louisiana kick to your recipes? The shrimp and chorizo stew is an excellent dish that you can vary the heat / spice easily. And it’s a great alternative if you make a lot of stir fry dishes.
I add rice to this dish, but you can add whatever grain / starch you wish. Here is the recipe for my cooked brown rice:
Brown Rice Recipe (Takes 1-hour to complete)
- 1 Cup gluten-free organic brown rice
- 1 Tbsp (or more) minced garlic or chop up garlic cloves
- Chop up 1/8 yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Ground Pepper
- 2 Cups Water
On medium heat, add coconut oil, onions, and ground pepper. Let it fry up for 2-3 minutes (onions soft and/or translucent), add in garlic for another minute. Add in rice & water, cover until it boils. Reduce heat to low, uncover & stir, cover again for 50 minutes.
Shrimp and Chorizo Stew
- 2 pounds / 1 carton of cherry tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Ground pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 pound large shrimp (18 – 22), peeled and deveined. If in doubt, go for the bigger shrimp.
- 1/2 pound Spanish chorizo sausage, cut into 3/4 inch thick rounds (you can also substitute chicken sausage, but make sure to cut it when it is semi-thawed)
- Cooked rice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss tomatoes, garlic, onion, and oregano with oil in a large bowl; season with pepper and salt. Spread mixture evenly in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet (large cast iron pan with lid works great). Roast covered, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes burst, about 30 minutes. Add shrimp and chorizo and stir until well coated. Roast another 10 minutes. Add in rice uncovered for another 3 minutes.
NOTE: If you want to add in more heat, add jamaican jerk seasoning, srichacha sauce, or any liquid-based heat to the rice and taste together with the stew. Just remember to add in small quantities; it’s easier to add, impossible to remove.
Want more? Click here for more of my autoimmune food recipes.