What I Learned in Week 22
Overall: Due to recent test results (listed below), I must now eat starches to balance my system. However, this goes completely against the theories of the No / Low Starch Diet, NSD / LSD, (no grains, 2nd row) which my diet was originally based from. Since it can take 3-4 days for symptoms to fully manifest, here is what happened after I ate the rice:
- Took a nap after eating the rice and felt instantly better – more mobility, less pain, and more energy (allowing me to do some things I haven’t done in months).
- Morning after my nose feels stuffy, but the pain has not increased.
- Afternoon and evening the stuffiness went away and continued feeling better than I was before I ate the rice.
- Tomorrow I will eat the other half of the rice & some more spinach for lunch and see if the “feeling better” trend continues.
Hair Analysis Test
Results came back from Doctor’s Data on my hair analysis test and showed low levels in all heavy metals except Mercury. Mercury showed up as medium (80th percentile). From here, it’s been suggested that I take the urine heavy metals test since it gives a more accurate measurement by swallowing an agent (pill for example) that picks up the heavy metal(s) and then you urinate it out. If confirmed for Mercury, I would need to take a test of the blood-brain barrier & then IV Chelation. Also, it’s been suggested I take the metal fillings from my teeth (I have two) before the Chelation.
The Organix Profile provides a view into the body’s cellular metabolic processes and the efficiency of metabolic function. Basically if you’re lacking in nutrition, this test will help find the problem areas. Here are mine:
- Fatty Acid Metabolism high – it won’t absorb DHA / EPA fatty acids in my body correctly. So all that fish & Omega-3 supplements I’ve been taking haven’t been working. To balance, I need carnitine (found in steak / beef) & B2. In fact, I need a B-Complex to balance out my B-Vitamins.
- Carbohydrate Metabolism Very High – Because I’ve been on the low-starch diet, I haven’t been eating nearly enough carbs. It’s so bad, I was diagnosed with Ketosis – basically the biggest reason I got so skinny & underweight; I turned whatever fat (which I didn’t have much to start with) into energy. For me, fruit isn’t enough – I need a starch.
- 5-Hydroxyindoleacetate is high, I need to eat more turkey since it has the Tryptophan (stuff that makes you sleepy after Thanksgiving turkey dinner) that I need. My breakfast consists of ground turkey almost every morning so I’m OK here.
- Picolinate is high, I need to lower the protein and add in the carbs. Again, I’ll need a starch to balance this out.
- Rice and potatoes (take small dose, test for a few days)
- B-Complex supplement
- Multivitamin that does not include iodine
Without going too much in-depth, my spine has seen an overall dramatic improvement in my lower back area and doing OK for the neck area. However, I am still too weak (especially the neck) and they are going to put me on a protocol to build me up. Here are some of the important X-Ray results:
My Health in Week 22
- Overall: Continue to wear my Sole Support orthotics as directed and found a great place where you can put your orthotics in sandals (I bought NAOT FOOTWEAR MIKAEL since it allows you to replace the insoles with your own orthotics – make sure to ask if these do that since I bought them at a Natural Comfort Footwear retail store), seeing big improvements since eating the rice on 6/18, and sleep continues to be the same.
- Sleep: As with many other previous weeks, I am still waking up twice a night. I go to bed at 10pm, get up around 1am (take 1 ibuprofen), then around 4am (take 1 ibuprofen, 1 probiotic, and fish oil), then finally get up at 6:30-7:30am.
- Current Areas of Concern: Neck is still weak and shoulders are still sore, but much better after eating the rice. Nighttime is still the “achiest” time of day but I’m finishing this blog up at 10:15pm and can still keep going – woo hoo! Ankles still swollen and probably won’t improve until I get really used to the orthotics and strength training.
- Areas of Improvement: Continuing ibuprofen regiment to reduce inflammation & pain. Only needed to take 1 nap a day since my energy has increased & pain decreased. I still have work to get done and tests for the potato and rice aren’t complete, but I am turning a corner here. That finish line is getting really close!
- Enbrel: It has been 17 1/2 weeks since my last shot.
- My lowest weight was 132 lbs. and a BMI of 18.46.
I want to end this blog from a song that’s been resonating in my heart. I feel that John Mayer’s “Shadow Days” lyrics describe me and my situation very well:
I’m a good man, with a good heart
Had a tough time, got a rough start
But I finally learned to let it go
Now I’m right here, and I’m right now
And I’m open, knowing somehow
That my shadow days are over
My shadow days are over now